File A Complaint

Welcome to the California Public Utilities Commission Consumer Affairs Branch Website.

Using this page, you can file a complaint against the company that provides your telephone, energy (electric or gas), water service or LifeLine program.

Please fill in the information requested below.

(Please do NOT report the same complaint for a case which is still pending.)

Items marked with an asterisk [*] are required. Use the TAB key to move from field to field.

Service Contact & Location Information
Please Enter First Name
Please Enter Last Name
Please Enter Street Address
Please Enter City
Please Select a State
Please Enter a ZipCode
Please Enter Valid Phone Number
Please Enter Valid Phone Number
Please Enter Valid Email Address
Alternate Contact Information

If your mailing address differs from the address provided above, please fill in the information below.

Company/Utility Information

The Account Number, if entered will be used only to resolve the complaint with the utility company.

Please Enter Utility Name
Describe the Complaint

All personal details provided are treated as confidential information to be used by the CPUC to resolve the complaint with the utility. If the descriptive blocks below do not accommodate the length of your complaint due to the 200 word limitation, you may attach letters and other documents as needed toward the end of this form.